A National Epidemic: Glucose Testing Can Identify Diabetes
October 27, 2011
Diabetes is considered a national health concern of epidemic proportions. Through glucose testing you can find out your glucose levels so that you can keep tabs on your personal diabetes risk.
Not convinced of the possibility of you or someone close to you getting diabetes at any age? According to 2011 statistics released by the American Diabetes Association* on January 26, 2011:
- A total of 25.8 million people in the U.S., which includes children and adults, have diabetes.
- The amount of people in America with diabetes equals 8.3% of the population.
- The amount of people in America with diabetes that goes undiagnosed is around 7.0 million based on estimates derived from using both fasting glucose and A1C levels data.
- The amount of people in American with pre-diabetes is around 79.0 million, again, based on estimates derived from both fasting glucose and A1C levels data.
- In 2010, 1.9 million new cases of diabetes were diagnosed in people 20 years of age and older.
While these statistics are all quite alarming, especially since the numbers grow higher with every new report, the undiagnosed, pre-diabetes and amount of persons in the younger generation that currently have diabetes is astounding.
In fact, a June 23, 2011 USA Today article reports that, “Experts are becoming increasingly concerned about the growing number of people in their 20s and 30s coping with type 2 diabetes, which used to be rarely seen in those under 40.
Breaking down the age group with numbers from the American Diabetes Association, you can see the shifting trend:
- Of all people below 20 years of age, 215,000, or 0.26% have diabetes
- About 1 in every 400 children and adolescents (or those under 20 years of age) has diabetes
- Of all people 20 years of age and older 25.6 million, or 11.3% have diabetes
- Of all men 20 years of age and older 13.0 million, or 11.8% have diabetes
- Of all women 20 years of age and older 2.6 million, or 10.8% have diabetes
- Of all people 65 years of age and older 10.9 million, or 26.9% have diabetes
Complications from Diabetes
Diabetes can causes other issues, such as:
- Heart disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Kidney Disease
- Nervous System Disorders (Neuropathy)
And due to the costs association with diabetes and its associated illness, including their accompanying disabilities, it is important that you know where you stand with your risks.
Get diabetes testing, that can help identify where you stand with diabetes or pre-diabetes today.
*Information from the American Diabetes Association can be found at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/?utm_source=WWW&utm_medium=DropDownDB&utm_content=Statistics&utm_campaign=CON
Take 10% of all Thyroid Testing
Use promo code THYJ10.
Cannot be applied to industry discounted prices, previous orders or tests not listed on our website. One coupon code per order. Coupon code expires at Midnight EST.