Symptoms of Leg Blood Clot
How it Works
Affordable, Rapid, Confidential
Symptoms of a Leg Blood Clot
What causes leg blood clots?
Blood clots are normally formed as part of the natural process through which the body stops bleeding. However, blood clots that form in the veins and don't dissolve on their own can be dangerous or even life-threatening. A clot that is stuck in the veins could cause a medical emergency if it breaks free and obstructs blood flow in the heart or lungs. Blood clots in one of the major arteries of the legs can cause a condition known as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). DVT blood clots are responsible for almost 100,00 deaths per year in the US.
What are the symptoms of a Leg Blood Clot?
Blood clots can cause symptoms such as swelling, pain, tenderness, an unusual warm sensation, redness, or discoloration. The symptoms can range in severity depending on the size of the clot and some people may not experience any unusual symptoms. People who have a history of irregular blood clots should follow up with their doctors right away if they experience any unusual symptoms.
What are the risk factors for Leg Blood Clots?
Conditions that can increase your risk of developing blood clots include:
- Being over 65 years of age
- Sitting down for long periods of time
- Lying down for long periods of time
- Some types of birth control medication
- Inherited disorders.
- Recent injuries, surgery, or lengthy hospital stays
How do I test for Leg Blood Clots?
Diagnosing a blood clot will require a doctor's examination. There are a variety of blood tests that can evaluate a person's risk for clotting disorders. The Protein C and Protein S tests measure proteins that are essential for the normal clotting process. Deficiency in these proteins can cause DVT and other irregular clotting disorders. A D Dimer test can come back elevated if a person is developing blood clots more than normal. People who are at risk of frequent blood clots often take blood-thinning medication. Tests such as the PT INR and PTT can help ensure their dosage is correct to avoid needing disorders. Any irregular test results should be followed up with a person's doctor.
How do I order a test for Leg Blood Clots?
Request A Test offers hundreds of affordable lab tests including tests that can help determine the risk of developing blood clotting disorders. We work with 2 of the largest lab companies in the US to provide over 3600 convenient testing locations. Orders can be placed online at www.requestatest.com or by phone at 1-888-732-2348. Placing an order takes as little as 10 minutes and you can go to the lab on the same day. Many tests see results in as little as one business day and results can be accessed online whenever you need them through your private account.
Why Choose Us?
- Since 2002, we have a proven track record of offering excellent customer service, affordable pricing with no hidden fees, and our enduring commitment to protect your personal information.
- No doctor's order? (No problem!) Our national physician network provides the required doctor's order for the lab. Insurance is not needed to order lab testing nor will your insurance company be billed.
- We are partnered with two of the largest CLIA certified labs in the US, to offer you the latest lab testing technology with prompt and accurate results. (These are the same labs used by hospitals and physicians.)
- With over 3,600 lab locations to choose from and same day collection, we make lab testing quick and convenient. No appointment is needed. Find your local lab with our location finder.
- We offer an extensive and detailed test menu. Ordering can be done online or over the phone. Not finding a test? Simply give us a call.
If you're ready to take charge of your health, Request A Test is here to help.