Basic Semen Analysis Test
Test Code: 519114
Important: Orders for this test must be placed by phone. Please call Request A Test at 1-888-732-2348 to order.
Specimen Type: Semen
Basic Semen Analysis Test (Labcorp)
This test provides an analysis of a semen sample to help assess fertility. The Basic Semen Analysis test is typically used to determine if a man is fertile or not, especially when a couple is having difficulty conceiving. The results of this test should be interpreted by a doctor or fertility specialist.
The Basic Semen Analysis includes measurements for:
- Liquefaction: The amount of time it takes the sample to liquefy. Semen that takes too long to liquefy may impede the movement of sperm
- Viscosity: A measure of how thick the sample is. Semen that is too thick may inhibit the movement of sperm
- Volume: The amount of fluid collected.
- PH: A pH that is too high or low may indicate an infection or contamination of the sample
- Round Cell Concentration: A measure of other cells such as white blood cells or immature sperm found in the sample
- Concentration: Also called sperm count. A measure of sperm per ml of semen. Less sperm typically indicates a lower fertility
- Total Motility: The percentage of moving sperm in the sample
- Progressive Motility: The percentage of sperm moving forward in a straight line
- Non-Progressive: Percentage of sperm which are not moving forward
- Normal Morphology: The percentage of sperm in the sample which are normal in size, shape, and length. Fertility can be impaired when there is a higher percentage of abnormal sperm
If sperm concentration is low, the lab may not be able to provide some or all of the above measurements.
Please see the requirements below before ordering.
Customers may also order the Postvasectomy Semen Test which only provides a qualitative check for the presence of sperm in a sample.
Turnaround time for the Semen Analysis, Basic test is typically 2-5 business days.
Note: Result turn around times are an estimate and are not guaranteed. Our reference lab may need additional time due to weather, holidays, confirmation/repeat testing, or equipment maintenance.
Only certain lab locations in select areas are able to take the specimen for this test. As of April 2022 , Labcorp had locations available for this test in the following states: CA, FL, LA, MO, NC, NE, TX, VA, and WI. Please contact Request A Test at 1-888-732-2348 to determine if there is a location which is convenient for you. If your state is not listed, please call Request A Test to inquire if additional locations have become available.
The Semen Analysis, Basic test has very specific collection requirements.
- The customer should observe at least 2 days but not more than 7 days of sexual abstinence before producing the specimen.
- Specimens should be collected without the use of any lubricants in a container procured from the testing site.
- Specimens collected in a condom are not acceptable.
- This test requires a fresh specimen; therefore, this procedure is available only at sperm testing facilities.
- The customer should bring their order requisition with them to the lab.
Some lab locations will have private collection rooms or allow the use of a public restroom. Others will require that the specimen be collected offsite and taken to the lab. For specimens which are not collected at the lab site:
- The specimen must be taken to the lab no more than 30-45 minutes after collection.
- The specimen should be kept in a pocket near the body to maintain temperature while being transported to the lab.
The World Health Organization experts (WHO) recommend that two ejaculates be evaluated initially. These samples should be collected at least seven days apart and not more than three months apart. If any of the major parameters are abnormal, additional ejaculates should be evaluated.
Clients testing in the state of CA will need to fill out an instruction form and bring it to the lab with their sample. Request A Test will provide you with a copy of this form.