Direct to Consumer Lab Testing:
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to view the answer. Or, read our article “Benefits of Direct to Consumer Lab Testing”.
- Q: What are some of the benefits of using Request A Test?
A:Request A Test offers our clients same day, direct access to laboratory testing. Results are available as early as 1 business day. There is no additional charge for a doctor's order, no need for an appointment and no long waiting room visits. Because our clients go directly to the lab to give their specimens, the testing process is quick and discreet. As a national testing agency, we are able to provide affordable lab testing while maintaining excellent personalized customer service. Request A Test has been a national leader in direct to consumer lab testing since 2002 and is rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. To ensure the highest quality of lab testing, Request A Test refers all their lab testing to the 2 largest nationally recognized and certified laboratories in the United States.
- Q: Do I need an order from my doctor to get tested?
A:No. Orders placed through Request A Test include the doctor's order you'll need for the testing.
- Q: I feel healthy so why should I get tested?
A:Early detection can be the best defense for serious medical conditions, which may not have any noticeable symptoms. Many tests are used as baseline screenings for comparison to future testing.
- Q: How does the ordering process work?
A:After reviewing our available tests, you can order lab tests online or by phone (1-888-732-2348) with one of our representatives. Once a testing location is selected, we will process your order and provide you with your doctor's requisition number. You may then walk into the selected lab location during their posted business hours and proceed with your specimen collection.
- Q: How soon after placing my order can I go into the lab?
A:Once you receive your doctor's requisition number (either by phone if placing a phone order or via email for orders placed online) you are able to go into the lab immediately. Out of courtesy to the lab attendants, we ask you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to any posted lunch or close of business day.
- Q: What should I do if I can't find the test I'm looking for?
A:Request A Test is able to provide access to thousands of tests. If a test you are interested in is not listed on our website, please contact Request A Test by phone at 1-888-732-2348.
- Q: What are my payment options?
A:Payment can be made by debit or credit card, Health Savings Account (HSA) card, cash deposit to KeyBank, money order or pre-paid gift cards for Visa or American Express.
- Q: Can I pay for testing with an HSA card?
A:Yes. Request A Test can take payment with a Health Savings Account (HSA) Card as long as it is issued by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American. Express. At the time your payment is processed, please provide the card number, expiration date, and security code as you would for any credit/debit card. In some cases, you may need your provider to pre-approve the charge.
- Q: How will the charges appear on my credit or debit card statement?
A:The charges will appear as "Lab Request 888-732-2348".
- Q: Does my order ever expire?
A:Orders expire 1 year from the date the order is placed. Please see our refund policy for more information.
- Q: Can I cancel or get a refund on my order?
A:To cancel your order, you must submit your request by calling Request A Test 888-732-2348 or submitting your request via email email@example.com. Please allow 24-72 hours for us to process your request.
Refund Policy: For orders not redeemed at the laboratory.
1. Payments for COVID-19 IgG Antibody testing orders (including medical consultation fees) are non-refundable, non-transferable, and cannot be substituted for other types of testing.
2. For all other testing, from the date of payment until 90 days, a full refund to the original form of payment.
3. After 90 days until 1 year from the date of payment, a credit for further testing is available. This credit is not transferrable and must be used prior to 1 year of the initial order date.
4. Orders which are more than 1 year old are considered void, may not be redeemed for service and are no longer applicable for refunds or credits of any kind.
- Q: Does Request A Test accept insurance as a form of payment?
A:Request A Test does not accept insurance or file insurance claims.
- Q: Do I need to schedule an appointment?
A:Generally no appointment is needed at the patient service centers. Once your testing order is confirmed, you may walk into the lab during their business hours. We ask out of courtesy to the lab attendants, that you arrive at least 30 minutes before their lunch break (if any) or the close of the business day.
- Q: Are there any special requirements before I give my specimen at the lab?
A:Some tests may have special requirements. Within each test description, there will be a notation if there is a specific specimen requirement.
- Q: Should I continue to take my medication before being tested?
A:Please consult with your prescribing physician regarding any potential drug interactions.
- Q: I feel nervous and embarrassed to go to the lab for testing. What should I expect?
A:The laboratory patient service centers consist of a waiting room and several small specimen collection rooms. When you arrive at the lab, you will provide the attendant with your doctor's requisition number or indicate that your order was faxed to the lab. If there are other customers waiting, be assured that no one knows which test you are taking except the laboratory staff. The lab collects specimens for hundreds of types of tests at each of their collection centers.
- Q: How do I receive my test results?
A:Results can be viewed online by logging in to your account or by calling Request A Test at 1-888-732-2348. By request, we are also able provide our clients with a copy of test results either by mail or by fax. We are unable to email test results directly.
- Q: Is my personal information and test results protected and kept private?
A:Request A Test is subject to the same HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) Privacy Laws just like your own personal physician. To read more about your rights under HIPAA, please click here.
- Q: How secure should I feel with the results that I receive from Request A Test?
A:Request A Test contracts with two of the most respected and nationally recognized medical testing laboratories: Laboratory Corporation of America (LabCorp) and Quest Diagnostics. Both labs are CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment) certified and are used by doctors, hospitals and clinics nationwide.
- Q: Will I be able to understand my test results?
A:Yes, all test results include reference interval ranges and any abnormal results are clearly indicated. We highly recommend you discuss any test results with a physician or healthcare provider.
- Q: What if my lab results are abnormal?
A:Abnormal test results should be considered an early warning, not necessarily an indication of illness or disease. We highly recommend you discuss any abnormal results with a physician or healthcare provider.
- Q: Can you send a copy of the test results to my doctor?
A:We are able to send a copy of the test results to your physician, provided you complete and return our result release form. If you are placing your order online, you may request that we fax results during the checkout process and would not need to fill out a medical release form.
- Q: Will you keep my test results on record?
A:Yes, Request A Test keeps all results on file for 7 years, should you need a copy in the future.
- Q: What makes Request A Test better than Free STD Testing?
A:At Request A Test, we're empathetic toward your financial constraints. However, there are a few reasons you may want to consider our discounted STD Testing over free std testing.
- Q: Does Request A Test provide testing for minors?
A:Minor testing policy is as follows:
1.) STD testing 16 years and older
2.) Drug (toxicology) testing, minor testing is permitted subject to Request A Test approval based on test selection and circumstance. Please feel free to call 1-888-732-2348 with questions. Online orders will be reviewed and we may connect with the ordering party to further discuss.
3.) All clinical lab tests, other than STD testing (see item 1 above), our clients must be 18 years of age or older.
- Q: Am I able to order my testing STAT?
A:No, STAT testing option is not available.
- Q: Does Request A Test offer lab testing on animals?
A:Unfortunately, our service is unable to provide testing for animals. The labs we partner with will not accept any non-human specimens.
- Q: Can I get the results of each test I order on a separate report?
A:All tests which are on the same order will have results on the same report. If you require your test results to be on separate reports, please order and pay for them separately. The lab will be unable to separate results for tests which are ordered together.