Basic Metabolic Panel Blood Test
Basic Metabolic Panel Blood Test (Labcorp)
A Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP) is a common screening that is often conducted as part of general health testing. This panel provides information about kidney function, electrolyte and fluid balance, and blood sugar levels. The BMP includes most of the same components as a Renal Function Panel.
A BMP includes the following tests:
- Glucose: Abnormal blood sugar levels can indicate a number of conditions including Diabetes.
- BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): Used to evaluate kidney function.
- Creatinine: Used to Evaluate Kidney Function.
- BUN/Creatinine Ratio: This measurement can indicate kidney disease or conditions such as dehydration or intestinal bleeding.
- Calcium: Normal levels are important for healthy bones, heart, nerves, kidneys, and teeth.
- Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, Carbon Dioxide, Total: An improper electrolyte balance can indicate a number of conditions including dehydration, Addison's disease, kidney disease, and Diabetes.
This test is usually ordered as part of a general health screening or when someone is taking medication such as diuretics which may affect the kidney or electrolyte levels. Customers may also order a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) for a more in depth screening. A CMP includes all of the components of a BMP as well as several additional tests.
Turnaround time for the Basic Metabolic Panel is typically 1 business day.
Where can I find a Basic Metabolic Panel near me?
Check our lab finder to locate a collection site in your area.
Note: Result turn around times are an estimate and are not guaranteed. Our reference lab may need additional time due to weather, holidays, confirmation/repeat testing, or equipment maintenance.
The Basic Metabolic Panel requires fasting for 9 - 12 hours prior to going in for blood collection.