Nicotine Blood Test
Test Code: 071255
Specimen Type: Blood
Nicotine Blood Test (Labcorp)
This test provides a measurement of Nicotine and its metabolites in the blood. A blood test for Nicotine is typically more sensitive than a urine test and can be used to detect passive exposure such as through second-hand smoke. Nicotine is usually detectable in the blood for 2-4 days after use.
Nicotine testing can be ordered for a variety of reasons.
- As a screening to determine if a person has had recent first or second-hand exposure
- To monitor compliance with a smoking cessation program
- As part of an application for health or life insurance
- As part of an employer-sponsored health initiative
- To determine the level of exposure for someone who is experiencing symptoms associated with a Nicotine overdose
People who do not require the extra sensitivity of a blood test may also order a Nicotine Metabolite Urine screen.
Please note: A negative result will report as "none detected" and will not have a quantitative (numerical) value.
Due to delays at the lab the Nicotine Blood test can have a turnaround time of up to 13 business days.
Where can I find a Nicotine test near me?
Check our lab finder to locate a collection site in your area.
Note: Result turn around times are an estimate and are not guaranteed. Our reference lab may need additional time due to weather, holidays, confirmation/repeat testing, or equipment maintenance.
Blood Nicotine testing is not performed with a chain of custody (COC).