Androstenedione Blood Test
Test Code: 004705
Specimen Type: Blood
Androstenedione Blood Test (Labcorp)
This test measures the blood levels of Androstenedione. Androstenedione is a type of hormone known as an androgen that can be converted into other hormones including testosterone and estrogen. Although it is typically referred to as a "male" sex hormone, Androstenedione is present in both men and women. It is produced in men by the testicles, in women by the ovaries, and in both sexes by the adrenal glands.
Testing for Androstenedione levels can serve several purposes.
- Evaluate the function of the adrenal glands
- Aid in diagnosing Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH), a group of genetic disorders that affect the adrenal glands
- Aid in diagnosing tumors of the adrenal glands
- Evaluate ovarian or testicular function
- Determine the cause of infertility in women
- In women, help to identify the cause of symptoms of excess androgen production such as excess facial or body hair growth, irregular menstrual periods, abnormal musculature, deepened voice, and loss of hair on the head
Turnaround for this test is typically 4-7 business days.
Where can I find an Androstenedione test near me?
Check our lab finder to locate a collection site in your area.