Sickle Cell Anemia Test
How it Works
Affordable, Rapid, Confidential
Sickle Cell Test
What is Sickle Cell Anemia?
Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disorder that affects red blood cells. Normal healthy red blood cells are smooth, round, and bed easily allowing them to easily pass through blood vessels and carry oxygen to various parts of the body. People with sickle cell disease develop stiffer crescent or "sickle" shaped red blood cells. These sickle cells are more likely to block the flow of blood and tend to break down more easily. This causes several problems. Because the body's tissues aren't getting enough oxygen, you can feel tired or fatigued more easily. The lack of blood flow can also cause painful swelling in the arms or legs. Blocked blood vessels can cause the onset of sudden sharp pains in various parts of the body. Sickle cells also don't live as long as regular red blood cells and break down quickly leaving you with fewer red blood cells than normal. People with sickle cell disease are more likely to develop complications such as frequent infections, vision problems, blood clots, and stroke. Fortunately, blood testing can detect if someone is at risk for developing sickle cell anemia so they can work with their doctor and take precautions.
Who should get a sickle cell trait test?
The only way to contract sickle cell disease is to inherit it from your parents. Sickle cell is caused by a mutation in the HBB gene which is responsible for the production of hemoglobin, an important component of red blood cells. If one or both parents have a mutated HBB gene, they can pass it to their children. Inheriting one gene means that person has Sickle Cell Trait. People with sickle cell trait do not typically develop sickle cell disease but they may experience milder symptoms under certain circumstances and they can pass the trait to their children. People with 2 genes are more likely to develop Sickle Cell Disease. A simple blood test called a Hemoglobin Solubility can check for the presence of Hemoglobin S which indicates that a person has sickle cell trait. Potential parents who have never been tested for sickle cell trait can benefit from a test to determine if their children will be at risk of inheriting sickle cell. Many student-athletes are required to take a Hemoglobin Solubility Sickle Cell Trait blood test because even if they do not have sickle cell disease, their health may still be at risk. People with sickle cell trait can sometimes experience difficulty during intense exercise especially if they have other conditions such as asthma. Request a Test provides quick online testing for anyone who needs a Sickle Cell Blood Test.
How do I order a Sickle Cell Trait Test Near Me?
If you need a Sickle Cell test for athletics or other reasons, Request A Test has you covered. We offer hundreds of discounted lab tests including the Hemoglobin Solubility blood test that anyone can order. No doctor's appointment or insurance is required. Just order online or call us at 1-888-732-2348 to get started. We work with 2 of the largest certified lab companies in the country so you can pick from over 3600 convenient locations. Most orders only take about 10 minutes to set up and then you can go to the lab as early as the same day. Results are provided through your online account and are usually available in just a few business days. We also offer testing for general wellness, STD, drugs, and more to meet all of your needs. Convenient, affordable lab testing is at your fingertips with Request A Test. Take charge of your health and get tested today.
Why Choose Us?
- Since 2002, we have a proven track record of offering excellent customer service, affordable pricing with no hidden fees, and our enduring commitment to protect your personal information.
- No doctor's order? (No problem!) Our national physician network provides the required doctor's order for the lab. Insurance is not needed to order lab testing nor will your insurance company be billed.
- We are partnered with two of the largest CLIA certified labs in the US, to offer you the latest lab testing technology with prompt and accurate results. (These are the same labs used by hospitals and physicians.)
- With over 3,600 lab locations to choose from and same day collection, we make lab testing quick and convenient. No appointment is needed. Find your local lab with our location finder.
- We offer an extensive and detailed test menu. Ordering can be done online or over the phone. Not finding a test? Simply give us a call.